two things

1. I was lunching with the family yesterday when i saw this woman across the way

and she had the most lovely tattoo across her back. I decided to get up and ask her if i could take

a photo of it because i am going next week to get my own.

2. She looked at me like i was insane…..but i think because i had Fin next to me that she thought

i must be normal.

3. Normal is as normal does

4. Obviously….this post has more than 2 things in it.

5. I really am thinking of getting a little….barley visible tattoo on my upper shoulder.

6. Or wrist

7. I had my nose pierced here on Kauai 2 years ago…so how bad could a tattoo be…

8. I lied….the tattoo might be a little larger then first stated……

9. That is….if i go through with it.

Comments

1. Melinda says:

don’t do it !!! Just sayin !

2. Crystal from Way Up North WI says:

go for it…it’s liberating and powerful…and addicting!

3. I am sure you have seen these, in your research of tattoos… My friend just got a tattoo on the inside of her wrist with white ink. It is beautiful! She had to go back since white ink fades a bit, but just beautiful!!! You should check it out!

4. I am normally not a tattoo person, but seriously….that is the most beautiful tattoo I have ever seen. I say go for it!

5. I’m of the “melinda camp”…and say don’t do it. I see the pic you took of the birds on the persons back….not diggin’ it. Generally…tattoos can on a rare occasion be interesting to me on young people where the art kinda fits their style. But one’s style changes…and that kinda cool tattoo will look old and out of style before you know it. I think they make people look older in a short time after getting them. And especially so once they start to fade ….i don’t know….it’s cool we all do what floats our boat…but you brought it up so i thought i’d give my 1/2 a cent worth. Maybe some think this is a stretch…but i don’t like making permanent changes to our body for decoration and with young kids would rather they not want to permanently alter themselves either no matter how small.

6. I would love to see what you had in mind!!!

7. I agree. That is the most beautiful tattoo. I think go small and then add on to the one you have in mind. I agree with Lisa above, show us!!

8. Very cool; birds in flight…..on me it would look like I had fallen asleep with mascara on, and it had migrated everywhere! I’m seeing a lot of tattoos these days; college kids, sahm’s, grandmothers……I read something the other day where the author said “tattoos are so far in, they’re now out” of style.

9. Melanie says:

I just got my first tattoo and it is on my foot. It’s a bird and I also got one on my wrist and it’s a bow. You know that Jessica and I went together and got them.

I love them!

10. I am so conservative that in the past, I even cringed at stick on tattoo. Then my sister talked me into one. It’s a small scrolled C on my ankle with a small star attached. I say I’m monogrammed, not tattoo’ed. I’m 54 years old and got this about 5 years ago.

I love it. I am not embarrassed by it. I forget I have it, and then see it in the mirror and it makes me smile. I can’t explain why. The week after I got it, I was heading back down to the tattoo shop to get another. I stopped myself in the nick of time. There was a sign in the shop that says “welcome to your new addiction”. And it was true. I thought, if I get another now, I’ll just start thinking do I want another. I do have a little bit of an obsessive compulsive streak!

So, I made the decision to set a goal and if/when I achieve it, I can reward myself with another small discreet tattoo. I have not met the goal. I have lost the urge on the most part, but love sketching little designs and thinking about what I would get if and when.

It’s funny to type this because I never ever thought I’d feel this way about a tattoo. I don’t believe anyone should get one young because it’s a lot of growing, changing and lifetime to get tired of it. But at my age, I’ve stretched and shrunk and changed over 2/3 of a lifetime, I’m pretty pleased with mine now!

If you get one, enjoy it. The birds in flight are lovely and while it’s large, they are so muted and ethereal, it’s really lovely.

11. i LOVE that!! go for it!!

12. I love my tattoo’s – I have my son’s name around my wrist with a bunch of cherry blossom’s winding through it. It makes me happy every single time I look at it!!!

Do it!

13. oh my goodness… i would have chased her down too! her tattoo is beautiful!!! i say – go for it… i can’t wait to see what yours looks like!

14. Hi , I live in a city where more than half the people have tattoos and I almost think now it is “cooler” not to have one. I used to want an om symbol but never went thru with it. I just don’t like needles!!!! I know you will do what is right for you!!!!! Blessings,Sara

15. That tattoo is beautiful! I have a fairy tattoo on my shoulder back and i love it. YOU should go for it. 🙂 I can’t wait to see what you get. Love to yoU!

16. Do it, do it, do it! I still love mine and it’s been there 15 years. Planning on getting another this year.

17. No one can tell you what to do; all a person can do is offer their opinions on the subject. Tattoos used to be so taboo and are luckily more acceptable. I got my nose pierced at 30 years old and my first tattoo at 31…I’ve gotten a tattoo every year for my birthday since then, and I am now 45 years old. The nice thing about all of my tattoos (whether my age or “out of style” they may seem to others) is that I remember where I was mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually whenever I got each and every one of them, and I wouldn’t change a thing. But then again, I have no regrets or shame about anything that has happened in my life….call me different – I’m okay with that. peace and love

18. Rebecca Frame says:

I have a secret tattoo in a hidden spot.

I love it and would not change it.

It is very sexy and drives the mr wild.

It hurt. But so did having my babies.

Can’t wait to see what you decide to do.

(do it!)

Rebecca

19. Melinda says:

Back from Melinda….
    The only reason I say not to do it is because…..( Some peeps won’t like this butttttt. )When I was a single mom and so wanted a tatoo and not nervey enough or rich enough to do it my decision was made. My son at the time was friends with a little boy who’s father was a State Policeman. Long story short he and I were both working out at a local gym and my friend mentioned to him our idea of the tatoos we would like to have. He said ladies 95 % of people incarcerated have tatoos. Not sayin his stats are correct , but it changed my mind FOREVER. My son is now 21 and his boy and girl friends are tatted and he has no desire because he remembers this father telling him the same story.

• Esme Flynn says:

Since I am not your “peep” and still do not like your attitude, I will put in my two cents for the last time: I have a quilting business and I can honestly say that the average age of my customers is 73 years old. AND 95% of those women have tattoos, and NONE of them have been in jail at any time during their lives. I have many tattoos and never have been in jail nor will I ever be incarcerated. Judge not a person by their appearance. Just because a policeman believes one thing does not mean everyone should. Think for yourself…the world would be a better place.

20. domenico says:

Well, the beauty of tattoos is that you are entitled to put whatever you desire on yourself. Personally I don’t think skin is a particularly good canvas, but that can only be applied to me.

21. I think you should do it. Why the heck not?
    I recently got my first one, a camera just above my right ankle.
    Since my passion is photography, it’s fitting.
    And it really didn’t hurt, I think stepping on a sticker hurts worse!

Just make sure that it’s something personal and meaningful to you, something I’m sure you’ll do anyway.
    And report back with pics!

XO,
    Anne

22. Hi Kasey,

first, I just read your post ‘one year later’ and I really loved it, truly written from the heart, and I realized that I have been reading along for two years now, glad I do and I know life will lead you in the right direction, it always does.

About the tattoo, this is a gorgeous one, thanks for sharing the picture. I have two small ones, one scorpion and one on my wrist, the initials of my girls (z and n, you can read them upside down they stay the same). I think if you want one, you should do it. Period. It’s a personal thing and I hope you will enjoy yours.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!
    Maureen xx

23. Jennifer says:

I despise tatoos, but that one is quite pretty.

24. Go for it!! 😉